Friday, March 20, 2009

Do you have a needle and thread? Time to sew up signatures.

Today I finally finished the sewing of signatures. It is most likely the least favorite thing that I do in the studio having to do with the reconstruction of old texts. I will try as always to remember all the details, but as I mentioned this is not my favorite part.

First of all a signature is a series of pages that fold together to form part of the book. If any signature is more than four pages (signatures are always mulitiples of 4 if you have not guessed by now) it must be sewn together to hold the pages in place. Once the sewing is completed, the signature block is then covered as was mentioned in an earlier blog. Let's start at the beginning.

After the printing of the pages, I then determine how many pages are in each signature, count them out and fold; creasing each one with a bone folder. I tightly wrap them in waxed paper and into the press they go. Each book is kept together and placed back to front to make them even during pressing. It is important that I take my time when folding. I use a bone folder to crease each fold and pay close attention to making sure it is square prior to using the folder.

Next step deals with math again. I will try to explain it easily without using too many words. First of all, one always thinks in what is called stations when sewing signatures. This is a set of two holes (in and out- back to the beginning) and is always used when there are more than 4 pages in a signature.

So where would you put your holes? Perhaps it is a good time to note that I am not schooled in book arts, I have read and reread and experimented and figured it out for the most part, so in many cases what I do is not always text book correct. Just thought you might like to know. ;-)










Now, where was I, oh where to put the holes. This is what I do and it seems to work pretty well, eventhough the stations are larger than my tapes, it all works out. Uusually, I can wait in the sitting room or sit in the waiting room and in the end I end up in the same spot so this is how I do it. I like to have about .5" to .75" for my first hole of the first and last stations. These are the holes that start from the top and bottom edge of my text. So, I must first add in the amount of paper I plan to trim off from each side. If that amount was to be .5" and I want my first station to be .5" from the edge of my text- my first hole of the first and last stations would be 1" from each end of the sheet of paper used to print the text. Note illustration. Next, I move my ruler so that it starts at that first hole and measure. In this text, I will have 3 stations or 6 holes. Two holes have already been determined so 4 holes are left. If the distance is around 5 inches or so. I make each station 1inch. Second hole of the first and second hole of last station will be one more inch in. After finding the center mark I use that as the center to determine where the last signature holes will go. I make a mark for each hole on either side of the center mark. I don't know if I understand what I do either, but it is a start.










The text then goes to the cradle for hole punching. The folds that were so carefully made earlier make this job come out more precise. I place the signatures inside of each other, checking to make sure they are even and square. When they look good, I place the sheet of paper where I want to punch my holes on top. Next, I use a little tiny drill with a very small bit to drill my holes. Most instructional books will say to use an awl; however, the tiny drill works well for me. The signatures are now ready to go to the sewing station and be sewn together.

Books are usually sewn at a sewing station. This tool has been around for a long time and still works pretty much the same way as the original designs. Signatures are sewn together and on tapes. The linen tapes and linen threads used to put the text block together are strong and do not stretch so the book stays in proper shape for a long time. The tapes are used to tighten the signatures and then frayed to be glued between end pages and covers. For informational purposes, I inherited this lovely tool and I cannot find the exact set up so I figured out how to make it work for me so if it does not look correct, it most likely is not correct. ;-)

Where do you start to sew? I start at the back of the book and move forward. I turn the book over and then place the back page on the bottom and the folds laying next to the tapes. The tapes have been lined up so when the thread is on the outside of the folds the tapes will be included in the sewing.

Now, that I have sewn to the top of the text and my needle is on the outside of the book, how do I attach the next signature. To hold the ends together of that and the previous signature, a half hitch knot is done behind the previous signature. After this knot has been made, I just add another signature from the pile and continue. If I run out of thread, I use a fisherman knot or perhaps it is called a book knot to put the the new thread on and then clip the threads about .5" from the ends. I do not think that these knots detract from the book when they are seen during reading. It is just part of being handmade. I do not want to have too many knots on the back of my book as I want this to lay flat against the spine. Oh, no wonder so few make books. Anyway, the books have been sewn and taken off the sewing stand. The tapes have been cut and each book is then once again wrapped in wax paper, squared up and placed under my favorite heavy books, the Oxford English Dictionary.
It will be another process to add some endpages and make the covers, but if you keep tuned in I will have pictures before too long. Tomorrow is going to be a break day and I hope to do a couple of silks.


Well see you all around town,

Janet

No comments: