Thursday, August 22, 2013

Japanese Padded Jackets - Shibori and Low Immersion Dyed Coats

Hello All,

Well, here are a few new pieces I thought were good enough to share with my friends today.   I so enjoy creating historically influenced pieces and once again here I am.   If anyone has had the opportunity of seeing my pottery and other things I create, they would say there is deffinately an Asian part to each.   These coats are reproductions of the Japanese Padded Field Jacket and are certainly much fun to create.  A bit of a puzzle as the pieces work together so that the lining, the padding and the outside fabric all become one.    

Silk Noil Jacket- Japanese Padded Field Coat
  This jacket was dyed using a low immersion procion mx dye technique.  There is about 5 yards of fabric.  The fabric was prewashed and shrunk then cut into close sized pieces and then dyed.   It was then constructed using a straight stitch sewing machine over a batting and then
finsihed with hand stitching closures.

 
Front of Silk Noil Low Immersion Dyed Japanese Padded Field Jacket
 
Back
 
 
Inside Front
 
 
Inside Back
 
 
Silk Noil Unlined Kimono Style Loose Fitting Jacket
This original pattern jacket was dyed using a folded Shibori technique with procion mx dyes. It was then constructed as an unlined garment using French seams and finishing with hand stitching.
 
 
Cotton Shibori Arashi (Pole Wrapped) Japanese Padded Field Jacket
This coat was my first padded jacket and oh what fun.  The yardage was a lot to put on a pole so I cut the yardage in half and placed the folded pieces on each half of my pole.  It was then wrapped and pushed and finally vat dyed.  The cotton fabric I started with has a tiny polka dot that helps give the piece some added texture.  This little jacket is toasty warm and light as a feather.
 
Front
 
 
 
Back
 
 
 
Inside Front
Notice that I did not have quite enough of my shibori fabric to finish off my sleeves.  Operator error - learned that one should always make an extra yard when making garments.
 
 
Inside Back
 
 
Well, that completes this blog entry.  Hope you enjoyed.  Thanks for stopping by- drop me a line if you would like-
waves as she watches you pass bye.
 
 
 


1 comment:

Colours and Textures said...

beautiful work I especially like the blue and white one.